Meet Nacarid Silva Marquez, 2023-24 GA for SEHD’s Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

As a first-generation immigrant, daughter, friend, and educator, I have leveraged my identities to advocate for high-quality, equitable, and inclusive practices at the district level within Colorado. Pursuing a doctoral degree in education with a concentration in Urban and Diverse Communities, I have remained dedicated to my own learning while working full-time in Denver Public Schools.

Throughout my time at DPS, I have held multiple positions requiring collaboration with various departments to successfully implement strategies. I have applied principles from my doctoral program and program management training to research and define project objectives that align with the district’s core values while effectively supporting day-to-day operations. As I actively immerse myself in understanding the SEHD’s Inclusive Excellence Principles, I am particularly enthusiastic about the emphasis on “Prioritizing a sense of belonging for all members of our community”.

Higher education can be an intimidating space for individuals sharing similar identities to my own. Therefore, I am eager to witness how the School of Education & Human Development continues to strive towards creating an environment that embraces everyone’s journey of learning and active participation. The prospect of serving as a Graduate Assistant is especially invigorating as it enables me to apply my expertise in project management while learning invaluable lessons from the University, SEHD, and the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (O-EDI). I look forward to understanding what it truly means to prepare and inspire students, foster opportunity, achievement, and success for students in Denver and beyond.