Important changes coming as a result of new Colorado legislation. Effective on January 1, 2021 the Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (EPEWA), and the Healthy Families and Workplaces Act (HFWA) will be in effect.
To comply with the EPEWA we will be required to make changes that will impact how we set pay and post positions. Under HFWA, some employee groups that do not currently receive sick leave will now accrue and be provided with sick time. In addition, employees will be able to use sick leave for more circumstances.
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act (EPEWA)
The Equal Pay for Equal Work Act was signed into law on May 22, 2019. This law is effective on January 1, 2021, and amends Colorado law and provides new wage discrimination and employer provisions that differ from federal law and other state equal pay laws.
- All job postings will be posted with a hiring range or rate.
Promotional opportunities will be announced (excluding natural progression promotions). *Note: Central HR is creating and will post a document defining natural progression for all employees to access.
- Employers are prohibited from:
- Seeking wage rate history of a prospective employee and/or requiring disclosure of wage rate as a condition of employment
- Relying on prior wage rate to determine wage rate
- Discriminating or retaliating against a prospective employee for failing to disclose the employees’ wage rate history
- Ensure that salaries for hires and promotions do not cause equity issues.
- Must maintain job descriptions and salary history records for each employee.
Healthy Families and Workplaces Act (HFWA)
The Healthy Families and Workplaces Act is effective on January 1, 2021. The Act requires employers to provide paid sick leave to employees under certain circumstances.
The following HFWA requirements will be effective January 2021:
- The following positions will accrue sick leave at a rate of 0.033 hours per hours worked with a maximum accrual of 48 hours.
- Temporary staff (university staff, classified staff, temporary researcher)
- Student Faculty (GPTI, TA)
- Student Workers (GA, student hourly, work study)
- Working Retirees (staff)
- Lecturers, Part time faculty
- These positions will now be required to use My Leave.
- State sick leave is not paid out at termination or retirement for these positions.
- If an employee separates and returns within 6 months unused state sick leave will be reinstated.
- Leave accrual for the following will continue to be tracked outside of HCM: Post Docs and 9 Month Faculty.
- Additional paid sick leave during a public health emergency; please refer to the attached document or link:
- EPEWA – Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
- Reasons sick leave may be used; please refer to the attached document or link: EPEWA – Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
Policies (Regent Policy 11e, Administrative Policy Statement 5062, and campus policies) and processes are being revised to include the requirements above and will be made available when complete.
A page specific to Healthy Families and Workplaces Act is live and includes important information including an FAQ that will continue to be revised as additional decisions are made.
Training for My Leave for employees and supervisors will be scheduled in January, 2021.
Additional communication and guidance will be provided as soon as available. *The above information may change due to new processes being developed.