It’s that time of year again! The evaluation cycle for university staff ends December 31, 2020. Supervisors, please use the checklist below for next steps and timelines.
Note: 2020 has been a difficult year, and many supervisors may find that the impact of the pandemic presents challenges in evaluating their employees for the 2020 performance cycle. Supervisors are strongly encouraged to consider the negative impacts of COVID-19 on the feasibility and attainability of goals for the 2020 performance cycle and should make appropriate adjustments to employee expectations and duties as a result of COVID-19.
The Human Resources office encourages units to facilitate the conducting and signing of these evaluations through whatever electronic means can be employed (virtual meetings, scans, e-signatures, etc).
Supervisor Year-End Evaluation Checklist:
- Your supervisee(s) should have their 2020 University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form on file. The employee will need to contact their supervisor or SEHDHR@ucdenver.edu for a copy of their 2020 professional plan if they cannot locate it.
- Prior to meeting, ask your supervisee(s) to provide you with a self-evaluation of their 2020 goals by providing evidence in the Comments section next to each of their Goals/Key Responsibilities and Core Competencies on their 2020 University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form. The employee should NOT provide their own rating scores.
- Ask your supervisee(s) to also complete PART I and PART II (page 1) of a new University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form with their Goals/Key Responsibilities for 2021 and send them to you before you meet.
- Review and add your coaching/feedback to the 2020 Evaluation Form in the Evaluation Summary section AND you can add comments/feedback in the Comments section next to each Goal/Core Competency. Note any changes that should be made to their 2021 goals to ensure that they meet your business needs and expectations.
Meet with your supervisee(s) before February 12, 2021.
During the meeting:
- Review your supervisee’s 2020 Evaluation Form. Provide and discuss your written coaching/feedback.
- Assign an evaluation rating and sign the 2020 Performance Rating Form (“Public Record Form”). Provide to employee for their signature (can be done during above meeting or provided shortly thereafter).
- Review your supervisee’s job description to ensure it is up-to-date.
- Review goals and initiatives in the 2021 University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form. Discuss how you, as the supervisor, can support them in their 2021 initiatives.
- Submit the 2020 Performance Evaluation and Rating Form to SEHDHR@ucdenver.edu *and* the 2021 University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form by Friday, February 19, 2021 for each of your supervisees.
Documents to send to SEHD HR Team:
- A signed 2020 University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form (include supervisor feedback and must justify any score above Meeting Expectations).
- A signed 2020 Performance Rating Form (“Public Record Form”)
- Fully signed 2021 University Staff Planning and Evaluation Form.
Regarding classified staff, we would also like to remind supervisors that every classified staff member must receive a coaching and progress review at least once during the plan year. If you supervise classified staff and have not conducted at least one coaching session this performance cycle, you must provide and document at least one coaching session as soon as possible. The performance management cycle for classified this year is April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021. Final classified evaluations will be due to HR by May 3, 2021.
For more performance management resources, please see Performance Management under the Supervisor Resources section on IMPACT (Wiki) or at the central HR website located here: Performance Management Consulting.
To access the online performance management course, please go here or locate the training on the Required Training webpage for Learning and Development.
Please email Theresa Anderson (email@example.com) with any questions.