FYI: Work study costs are being 100% covered between Financial Aid & Central Administration through December 2020, so we encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity while it’s available.
On behalf of Student Employment…
What to Expect for Fall 2020 Work-Study
Greetings from Student Employment!
So far 2020 has been a year of unexpected disruptions that has changed how we work and communicate with our fellow staff and student employees. Many offices have had to adjust how they allow their student employees to work, and evaluate if they have funding to continue employing students. In an effort assist departments in funding student employees, we are announcing that Student Employment will continue to cover the employer’s portion of the work-study (WS) student’s payroll. That means Work-Study will cover 100% of the student’s gross earnings for Fall 2020.
A few reminders:
- Fall WS begins August 9, 2020 and ends December 26, 2020. (For students who are graduating in the Fall 2020 term, their last date of employment will be December 12, 2020.)
- It is the students and supervisors’ responsibility to track employees’ earnings throughout the semester.
- It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of changes made to their WS award eligibility, and to notify their supervisor of changes which affect the employee’s work-study award and employment eligibility.
- WS will only cover earnings up to the student’s total award amount. Any hours submitted that exceed the student’s WS funds for the semester will automatically be charged to the speedtype assigned to the student’s position.
- Students may contact our office to review their eligibility and request a possible increase in WS funding as needed throughout the term.
- WS will only cover the students’ gross earnings. Any additional charges that are not a part of gross earnings, such as Medicare, Work Comp, etc. will not be covered by WS funds and will continue to be charged to the employing department’s speedtype.
- WS will only cover earnings for students hired under the 41XX job code series. Any positions outside this series are not be eligible for any WS funding.
Please know that we will continue to monitor our WS funds and will provide updates in early January for the Spring 2021.
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
Stay healthy and safe!
Student Employment | Financial Aid & Scholarships
303.315.1842 | firstname.lastname@example.org