SEHD Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:30p.m. – 4:45 pm

Location: LSC 620

In Attendance: Rachel Cornelius, Shelley Gomez, Tim Halliday, Lindsay Harn, Tony Romero, Bridget Sabo


  • Election Announcements:
    • Welcome Tim – thank you for subbing for Jessica Coon while she is on leave!
    • Post to Impact Kelly and Tim are now on SAC
  • Covering Jessica SAC responsibilities while she is on leave:
    • General web updates for any of the other SAC pages (PD fund, About Us, etc. as needed) Bridget
    • Review/Organize the SEHD Staff Council Email periodically – Rachel
    • Schedule our SAC monthly meetings – Rachel
    • Write the agenda – Rachel
    • Schedule rooms – Rachel
    • Keep us moving on initiatives – Rachel
    • Take notes at our meetings Bridget
    • Update the TYYMMD section of our website Bridget (request access to post on Impact)
    • Upload our meeting minutes – Bridget
    • Get the Dean’s approval for PD requests and send out approval notices to staff -TIM
    • Let SAC know of new hires – Shelley will contact Tricia
    • Update the staff directory with new hires and pictures – Lindsay
    • Faculty Meeting recap – Lindsay will type recap and ask for the email to be sent out to faculty and staff discussing social capital
      • Provide link to Ted Talk
      • Include some suggestions
      • Where SAC can help
      • Solicit for faculty help? – Will ask the Diversity Committee for help promoting and supporting staff and faculty events
      • Reminder of our upcoming events
    • What do we need for support from the Deans? What messages can they send out?
      • Congrats to Employee of the Month –  Allen will be sending out congratulation recognition to the employee of the month
      • TYYMMD acknowledgement – Dr. Allen will also be sending recognition
      • Get our events on deans, faculty calendars and ask for support at our events
      • Ask for co-sponsor events – This was discussed however due to university budgeting restrictions this may not be possible
    • PD with most votes: Yoga – Shelley. Shelley is planning the event for November.
    • PD with second most votes: Stress management workshop with the Counseling Center. Bridget planning the event for April.
    • Candy Gram Sale:
      • Suggestions for improvement?
      • Get order forms for doors printed with instructions on how to buy candy grams
        • Rachel to check Dollar store / Costco / Target
      • Chomp – suggestions for improvement?
        • Sign up for potluck food
        • Break up by category or by last name
      • Winter Party – room? Can we make 745 work? Suggestions?
        • Email from Lori Ryan re: Teacher Education faculty meeting on the same day. The Teacher Education faculty have moved their meeting by one hour to allow time for the
        • Food will be set up in open area adjacent to room 745 to allow for more room for seating
      • Future Planning for AY 17-18
        • JANUARY
          • Community Service Event around MLK Day
          • Check with Sandy about MLK Day of Service that she had mentioned planning (Bridget)
        • FEBRUARY
          • Staff and Faculty party? Sadie’s Hawkins Party? Revisit in November meeting.
        • MARCH
          • Spring Semester Staff Meeting
        • APRIL
          • PD –Counseling Center workshop on stress management (Bridget)
        • MAY
          • 5/2/18 – Room PLA#3 available! (Rachel)
        • JUNE
          • 4th Annual Summer BBQ – revisit in November meeting
          • Time of day? Location?
        • Employee of the Month Nominations
          • Follow up with Julia about posting information (Rachel)
          • What else can we do with the information:
            • Aswad sending out a CONGRATS email to winners
            • Shelley is asking how things are posted on the monitors outside 701 – idea is to post Employee of the Month on monitors
          • Review any PD Fund Requests:
            • Tim
              • Ask Tim for breakdown/official documentation of what the funds will be used for, then send out for email approval from SAC members
            • Tricia
              • Approved – sent to Tim for next steps!
            • Make sure other PD has Dean’s Approval and has been sent out – Lindsay will update and send out – work with Tim for approvals from Dean
          • For discussion in November meeting:
            • Follow up Action Items:
            • IDEA: Post in IMPACT/SAC information updates highlighting various program areas?
            • Follow up: Work anniversaries to announce at the retreat, to post on doors.
              • 5, 10, 15 and 20+within past year
              • Perhaps a message from the dean?
              • Make certificates
              • Make a nice Impact post
              • Photo Directory Photo Day – Lindsay to follow up with Julia
              • Collected feedback from Staff Meeting in September
              • Survey Results – how to use results
              • Work Study Initiative – Bridget and Rachel – any follow-up needed?
SEHD Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes