JANUARY 2017 —
Ask employee to complete the 2016 self-evaluation form based upon goals discussed and submitted in their 2016 professional plan.
- Focus on outcomes vs. just listing activities – ask them to provide evidence of how they have met or exceeded their performance goals throughout the year.
How does their work support the goals of your workgroup, the department, the SEHD? If this isn’t clear, it is a great opportunity to clarify for the coming year!
FEBRUARY 1, 2017
Deadline for completed self-evaluation form to be submitted to the supervisor. The supervisor will then add their written feedback on the self-evaluation form for the coaching discussion.
BETWEEN FEBRUARY 1-12, 2017
NEW in 2017! Professional Plans for 2017 are to be submitted electronically. The online form can be accessed here. The form allows the employee to enter their plan goals and save their progress. Best Practice? Once the employee has saved progress on their professional plan, they can collaborate with the supervisor during their coaching meeting to finalize the plan. Please submit Professional Plan AFTER the supervisor has approved it. Once submitted online, the plan can no longer be edited. Any mid-year plan changes can be submitted via a new submission or sending edits directly to Jessica Coon.
Here’s an example of questions to ask to help the coaching conversation (from Henna Innam, Transformational Leadership):
- “What did you do well? What strengths did you use to achieve that?”
- “What were things you could have done better? What strengths can you use to achieve that?”
- “Here’s what I observed in terms of what you could have done better (be specific). How do these resonate for you?”
- “If you were able to master these behaviors how would this help you?” (this is a great question to understand what motivates your coachee).
EVALUATION MEETING FOLLOW UP
- Finalize goals for 2017 professional plan and submit form electronically.
FEBRUARY 20, 2017
Submit the following items to Jessica Coon for each of your supervisees:
- 2016 Self-Evaluation (include supervisor feedback and justification for any score above Meeting Expectations–clearly demonstrate why and how the employee exceeded their goals this year)
- UNSIGNED 2016 Annual Performance Rating Form (includes proposed rating from supervisor)
- NEW in 2017! All proposed scores will be reviewed by the Executive Review Committee (ERC consists of Patricia Ball, Christine Feagins, Rebecca Kantor). After approval has been received by the ERC, SEHD HR will release the rating form for signatures no later than Thursday, February 23. Fully signed ratings forms must be received by Tuesday, February 28.
- Supervisors should NOT share proposed scores with their staff until the ERC has reviewed/approved the form.
Remember to also submit online:
Throughout this process, please keep in mind the Performance Evaluation Ratings Guidelines from Rebecca Kantor.
- Annual Performance Rating Form – University Staff
- 2016 Self-Evaluation Template – University Staff
- 2017 Online Professional Plan
Check out additional Performance Management resources at the bottom of our HR Reference Documents page!