Originally posted Oct. 11 by Sean Michael Morris @ the Digital Pedagogy Lab
We hope that you’ll join us for this #digped chat on Friday, October 14 at 10AM Mountain Time.
Quite often, I don’t have the words to speak. To respond. To cry havoc. I have spoken many times already and have made my point. And yet today demands more words; and more than words, today demands action. The academy is really good at giving us words, words about words, and even words about words-about-words. But the academy is not so good at giving us the shoes we need to pound the pavement, stand up on our soapbox, to go door-to-door to try to make change.
In this penultimate #digped chat on Friday, October 14 at Noon Eastern, we will consider how our pedagogies and our ideologies and our actions mix. We want to take a hard look at how the work of our field—be it pedagogy or English or Mathematics or Physics or entrepreneurship or community leadership or educational technology—engages with what Freire called “an epistemological relationship to reality.” What do we believe? And can or should that belief lead us, or lead our field?
Some questions to consider before the chat:
- Who occupies our classrooms? What stories have they spoken? What stories have we listened to? What stories lie under the surface?
- What silences us? What forces do we wrestle with bringing social justice into the classroom? How do we make space for social justice, no matter what subject we’re teaching?
- Critical pedagogy works to make us readers of our world. Are we readers of our world? Are we supporting learning and community that helps others be readers of their world?
- Is there an alternative to critical pedagogy?
- Is there a digital tool for social justice?
- Do our assumptions about learning and education drive our methods? Or do students drive our methods?
We hope that you’ll join us for this #digped chat on Friday, October 14 at 10AM Mountain Time. For those unable to join the conversation this week, we will host one more of our regularly scheduled #digped chats on November 11 at Noon Eastern. Watch for an announcement with more details.