Thanksgiving Dinner Kits & Blanket Drive

turkey

Hi Everybody,

As many of you already know I am very involved with trying to give back to our community and creating volunteer opportunities for many of my friends and co-workers to do the same.  I am putting together two different causes that I would like to invite you to be a part of:

Thanksgiving Dinner Kits –

Last year for Thanksgiving I adopted 50 low income families from Fletcher Community, an Aurora public elementary school made up of 93.5% students on free/reduced lunches.  Through the help of friends and peers we were able to donate 50 Thanksgiving Dinner Kits which included a turkey, mash potatoes, bread rolls and other goodies.  The tears of joy from many of these families when they received their dinner kit was a very touching and became an eye opener for the real need in our community to make a difference.  I once again adopted 50 families this year and would like to invite you to participate in donating dinner kit(s) to help these families in need.  You can help by creating your own dinner kit to donate, purchase a kit online ($25 feeds an entire family), or be a driver to help deliver these kits (delivery date will be on the 25th).   If you do plan to participate please email me ahead of time to keep a running count for the school.  Click here for additional details on how to help.   

blankets

Blanket Drive –

For the past seven years I have been able to collect blankets and other warm clothing for the homeless.  Last night after work while walking to the bus stop or to your car you noticed the cold air hitting your face and instantly chilling your entire body only to realize that it’s only for a few moments until you get into your car or home … sadly we have people on your streets without the luxury of a few moments and instead having to withstand the cold all day and night in theses deadly cold temperatures.  According to the Denver Post, last night’s frigid 16 degrees was the coldest since 1916.  I am collecting blankets, coats, gloves, hats, and other warm clothing to donate to shelters.  If you would like to participate please bring these items to my office (used is ok as long as the items are clean).  Even one blanket could make a difference.  Click here for additional details on how to help.  

This would also be a great way to startup a sub-drive in your office to collect items please help spread the word.  Contact me if you have any questions.

Please note – You are not required to participate. These are volunteer opportunities to help make a difference in our community.  

Thanks and stay warm out there my friends,

Danny Felipe-Morales | TEDDY/DAISY Data Manager

School of Medicine | Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes

University of Colorado Denver | www.ucdenver.edu

303.724.7523 | Daniel.FelipeMorales@ucdenver.edu